ads

Criminal Law: Drug Offence & Penalties in Singapore

When it comes to Drug offences, Singapore has the strictest laws and is governed by the MDA (Misuse of Drugs Act). The criminal law in Singapore for drug offences include trafficking, manufacturing, importation or exportation, possession and consumption. Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, the burden of proof lies on the defendant, not on the government. If you are caught with large amounts of drugs, you are simply presumed by law to be trafficking unless it can be proved that his possession was not for that purpose.

Penalties for Drug Possession in Singapore

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, the prescribed penalties for possession of small amounts range from fines of up to $20,000 to a maximum of ten years in prison.

Punishments differ in severity depending on the class of controlled substance and is classified into 3 different classes:

Class A 
Maximum: 20 years & 15 strokes
Minimum: 5 years & 5 stokes

Class B 
Maximum: 20 years & 10 strokes
Minimum: 3 years & 3 strokes

Class C 
Maximum: 10 years & 5 strokes
Minimum: 2 years & 2 strokes

As of January 2013, there was changes to the mandatory death penalty for drug related offences in Singapore. Instead of death sentences for drug smuggling, judges are permitted to impose life sentences. The death penalty is no longer mandatory, however, the accused must be able to prove they were only drug couriers; that they suffer from some mental disability; and they must have helped the Central Narcotics Bureau in some substantive way.

What to Do If You Are Arrested for drug offences in Singapore?

If you are charged and arrested for drug offences in Singapore, it is high advisable to seek legal help from top Singapore law firms having best criminal lawyers to defend you in the court of law. In order to find the criminal defense attorney, you can take help from the Internet. All the top criminal law firms have presence in the world of web. You can find all the information pertaining to the team of lawyers, fees and other necessary details.
Share on Google Plus

About Criminal Law

Philip Ben is young law practitioner and writes mostly on subjects related to Laws in Singapore, specially the Criminal Law and criminal procedures. Besides, he loves to read book, travel and cycling.

4 comments :

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this excellent information I was looking for this information. If you want to hire a lawyer for intellectual property rights in India then I suggest you a SibenIP is the best place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have given detailed informative about Rights and Law. It was a great experience reading your blog. Such blogs should be appreciated and shared. Thanks for sharing, keep blogging. If you want to hire a lawyer for intellectual property rights in India then I suggest you a SiebenIP is the best place for you.

    ReplyDelete